4th June 2014
So today when we arrived on site we all immediately began to fill the layer prepared the evening before. We had nearly completed filling the layer when we discover a problem, whilst we had covered the earth with a waterproof cover the amount of rain over night and up until we arrived had seeped under and dramatically altered the texture of the soil in outer edges of the mound, making it much too wet to use, feeling and acting like jelly under the tamper. It was a learning experience and we decide to take up the areas of the layer which were too saturated and replace them with dryer earth, in a bid not to compromise the structure. We then set about continuing more layers and transporting more earth onto the site via tractor. Today we’ve really gain some height and an exciting development was the laying of the first key stones that begins the arched roof of the lobby.